Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam (made with honey)



I loooove the combo of Strawberries and Rhubarb. Especially in a pie. Or a crisp...YUM!

But I'll be honest here...I'm slacking in the pie-making department lately. I'm no supermom, you know! When I graciously received some stalks of rhubarb from a family friend (unfortunately I don't have it growing in my yard), I wanted to make sure I used it up though...even if I didn't want to "go all out" and make a pie.

Hey, cut me some slack here... 5 goats, 4 chickens, 2 bunnies, 2 cats, 2 dogs, and most of all, 3 kids, make me very exhausted at times. I'll take my shortcuts, thank you!

When I saw THIS recipe for rhubarb refrigerator jam, made with honey (instead of the usual 500 cups of sugar), I thought, "this is perfect!"

I LOVE homemade jellies and jams. Especially refrigerator jam, because we all know I'm going to eat it all up within a week or two anyway, right? And this recipe uses Pomona's Pectin, which doesn't require any specific amount of sugar to make it set, so you can use less sugar, or natural sweeteners such as honey!

This was my first time using it- all you have to do to make it work is make calcium water, which is easy, because the package comes with a little packet of powdered calcium, and the handy instructions on how to make it (just mix with water and then store in your fridge).

But Wait-

I didn't have that much gifted rhubarb, so how could I make rhubarb jam? Said recipe called for 3 cups, and I only had about 1.5 cups. The answer was really quite obvious, being that I had a bag of frozen strawberries calling to me from my freezer.

It was fate, really. The strawberries that were in my freezer happened to measure out to 1.5 cups, as well. And this is how my new Strawberry Rhubarb jam (made with honey) was born!

Of course I can't take much credit for this recipe... I followed the GNOWFGLINS recipe to a tee, but subbed in 1.5 cups of strawberries, and it came out delicious. Enjoy!


Strawberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam (sweetened with honey)



  • 1.5 cups peeled, diced rhubarb
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1.5 cups strawberries (I used frozen)
  • 2tsp Pomona's Pectin calcium water
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2tsp Pomona's Pectin

Put water, strawberries and rhubarb into a saucepan, covered. Bring to a boil, and let steam at least 5 minutes, or until fruit is soft and falling apart. If you use frozen strawberries, it will take longer. I chose to mash my fruit up, but it's up to you how "chunky" you want it.

Turn off the heat, and add calcium water. In a separate bowl, mix pectin and honey together. Turn on heat again, mix in honey/pectin mixture and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and put in a jar. Can be stored in the freezer,  or refrigerator.

Easy. Simple. Sweet-but-not-too-sweet. If you eat it with a spoon, I won't tell!



No comments:

Post a Comment